Monday, June 21, 2010

Book Review: Tyger Tyger by Kersten Hamilton

Author:Kersten Hamilton
Release Date: November 15, 2010
Received by: netGalley and Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Pages: 322 (on my nook)

Teagan Wylltson's best friend, Abby, dreams that horrifying creatures--goblins, shape-shifters, and beings of unearthly beauty but terrible cruelty--are hunting Teagan. Abby is always coming up with crazy stuff, though, so Teagan isn't worried. Her life isn't in danger. In fact, it's perfect. She's on track for a college scholarship. She has a great job. She's focused on school, work, and her future. No boys, no heartaches, no problems. Until Finn Mac Cumhaill arrives. Finn's a bit on the unearthly beautiful side himself. He has a killer accent and a knee-weakening smile. And either he's crazy or he's been haunting Abby's dreams, because he's talking about goblins, too . . . and about being The Mac Cumhaill, born to fight all goblin-kind. Finn knows a thing or two about fighting. Which is a very good thing, because this time, Abby's right. The goblins are coming. Summary from Shelfari.



I did like this book and I absolutely loved the characters. Teagan is a strong girl that knows what she wants from life and is working hard to get it. Aiden is her little 5 year old brother and not only is he adorable, the boys got charm. Abby, Teagan's best friend is hilarious and adds a bit of spice to the book. Finn is an Irish Traveller and I had the best Irish accent going on in my head for him. Plus he is honorable and who doesn't love an honorable teen boy. Mameio is a fiery grandma, everyone needs a Mameio in their life at some point, and I must say I want my own Raynor (read the book and you'll see what I mean about Raynor.)

I loved the Irish mythology that this book hints at, and now I want to read a lot more about Irish mythology. I loved the supernatural aspects with the goblins, sprites, angels, and the different sidhe.

So why only 3.5? Well I had one big problem with the book. I don't want to give anything away so I'll just say that near the beginning of the book a very tragic, truamatic event happens and it totally gets glossed over. I was so disappointed that this issue wasn't really dealt with and it really bothered me through the rest of the book. I just couldn't get past that.
With my main complaint out of the way, I would definitely recommend reading this and I think it would be a fun book to read aloud with the family. The romance is there but it is totally G rated.
If this book continues on as a series I would pick it up to find out more about Teagan and Finn.

3 comments:

  1. I've been hearing so many great things about this book - so I'm definitely going to give it a try. Enjoyed reading your review though - and thanks for the heads-up! I'll definitely take that into account when reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I've been hearing pretty good things about this one, but I'm glad to know that a major event gets glossed over. I'll have to keep that in mind if I pick this one up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. While I ended up giving it a higher rating... the part you talked about getting skipped over REALLY bothered me too. I actually had to go back and make sure I didn't miss a chapter :/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love hearing what you think!