Monday, February 28, 2011

Torment - Reviewed

Torment
Author: Lauren Kate
Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers
Released: September, 2010
Pages: 452
Target Adult: Young Adult
Source: Library

Summary from Goodreads:
Hell on earth. That's what it's like for Luce to be apart from her fallen angel boyfriend, Daniel. It took them an eternity to find one another, but now he has told her he must go away. Just long enough to hunt down the Outcasts - immortals who want to kill Luce. Daniel hides Luce at Shoreline, a school on the rocky California coast with unusually gifted students -Nephilim, the offspring of fallen angels and humans.

At Shoreline, Luce learns what the Shadows are, and how she can use them as windows to her previous lives. Yet the more Luce learns, the more she suspects that Daniel hasn't told her everything. He's hiding something - something dangerous. What if Daniel's version of the past isn't actually true? What if Luce is really meant to be with someone else? The second novel in the addictive FALLEN series . . . where love never dies.

First just let me say I hate writing reviews for books I didn't enjoy.  That being said I always aim to give honest reviews no matter where the book came from.  So here goes.  I spent so much time groaning through this book. Luce is so whiny that she becomes extremely annoying. I almost put it down for good more than once. Luce and Daniel are probably my least favorite young adult couple.  They don't communicate, they keep secrets from each other constantly, secrets that just cause more problems, as most do. Luce is away from Daniel for a few short days and starts questioning her love for him and thinks that maybe she would rather be with Miles a boy from the new school. Speaking of school, the whole book had a same story different school feel to it.  And once again all of the action and the climax of the story happened right at the end of the book.  I'm okay with cliff hangers as long as the rest of the book has something remotely interesting going on.  The best part of this book for me were the side characters and the abilities of the shadows.  They are the only reason that I finished this book.  I won't be reading the next book.

This book has been on the New York Times bestseller list so obviously I'm one of the few who haven't enjoyed this series.  I guess you just can't like them all.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Shari!
    Just dropping by to welcome you to BLB! Glad you are joining us! I"m Barb and I can be found at Sugarbeat's Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the honest review. I've read mainly positive reviews of this book so it was nice to hear the "other side of the story". I'm not sure if this is one I will pick up or not but I really appreciate your honesty!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love hearing what you think!