Friday, July 22, 2011

High School Libraries Need Books Too!

 I was reading a post today from Mrs. Anderson at Y.A . Love she is spreading the news about a book drive that is going on for a high school in Washington D.C. This school's library only has 63 books in their literature section. This is extremely sad! I homeschool my children and we have more books than that in our personal library. So this week I will be going through our library and picking out some books that I hope will bring a little happiness to those students at Ballou Senior High School this coming year. If you would like to donate as well here is the information that you need.


What they need:
Everything.  From Shakespeare to Octavia Butler to Richard Wright. Fantasy, sci-fi, YA, adult fiction, history books, poetry, classic literature, science. Basically anything and everything that’s suitable for high school. They will take anything as long as it is in GOOD condition and has no writing in it. 
I’ve asked if they would accept ARCs (new and old), and the director of the book drive, Lisa, said YES. Please note however, that this they really need finished copies. ARCs are fantastic, but the lasting value isn’t always standing.
How to donate:
If you have books you want to give, please mail them directly to:
Perry School
c/o Margaret Pegram
128 M St. NW suite 318
Washington, DC 20001
Inside the box put a note that says “c/o Lisa P. Ballou Book Drive”.
They will be accepting books until August 22!!
Also, if you’d like to include some kind of quick note for the kids, words of encouragement, that would be awesome!! But it’s not mandatory.
Spread the word!
Reblog this post on your blog. Tweet this post. (we’re on Twitter at #HSBookDrive) Tell everyone. Send books.
This is a chance for our community to step up, to reach out and to provide teens with books. This is why we are here so I challenge you to be part of this. If you can, if you have even one book or a stack of books from that project you finished a year ago, give them. Donating books is not really about the book, but about what happens when someone reads a book. And not even having a chance to read a book is completely devastating to me. I can’t even imagine my life without books.
I hope you will help!! Even if you can’t send a book–tweet, tell others, and take action.

2 comments:

  1. I'd love to send my own books, but I wonder if they'd accept them...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely tumblring this, and will check my shelves to see what I have (that's appropriate!) for a school library. Thanks for the heads up!


    Smiles!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love hearing what you think!