Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Neurotic Thoughts on Don't Stop Now

Don't Stop Now
Author: Julie Halpern
Released: June 7, 2011
Pages: 224
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
ISBN: 0312643462
Target Age: Young Adult
Source: Around the World ARC Tours
Summary from Goodreads:


On the first day of Lillian’s summer-before-college, she gets a message on her cell from her sort-of friend, Penny. Not only has Penny faked her own kidnapping, but Lil is the only one who figures it out. She knows that Penny’s home life has been rough, and that her boyfriend may be abusive. Soon, Penny’s family, the local police, and even the FBI are grilling Lil, and she decides to head out to Oregon, where Penny has mentioned an acquaintance. And who better to road-trip across the country with than Lil’s BFF, Josh. But here’s the thing: Lil loves Josh. And Josh doesn’t want to “ruin” their amazing friendship.
Josh has a car and his dad’s credit card. Lil has her cellphone and a hunch about where Penny is hiding. There’s something else she needs to find: Are she and Josh meant to be together?

                                                I really loved this book!

A truly delicious and entertaining read. I absolutely adored the characters Lillian and Josh! They are very possibly two of the most authentic characters I have ever read about. We've all known someone like Lillian and Josh. They are quirky, funny and just so likable. I was constantly laughing out loud and reading passages to my daughter because they were just too funny not to share. Also because Lillian reminded me a lot of my daughter. I do have to add really quickly that Penny is a complete and total idiot.  
I loved all of the settings in this book. From Powell's book store (I want to go there so bad) in Oregon, to the offbeat corn palace and the cheese castle, or was that the cheese palace and the corn castle? Either way they were so much fun. Julie Halpern's writing is humorous, lively and easy to read. If you are looking for a fun way to spend a hot summer day you won't go wrong choosing Don't Stop Now. 



4 comments:

  1. This one looks really interesting! Glad to hear that you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo they mention Powell's? I could spend a whole day in that store - best bookstore on the entire planet!!! I totally have to read this now!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "They are quirky, funny and just so likable...Also because Lillian reminded me a lot of my daughter." :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a really good read. Thanks for the review and introducing me to a new author. I'm a new follower, too.
    Laurie
    Laurie's Thoughts & Reviews

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love hearing what you think!