Monday, April 16, 2012

Neurotic Thoughts - Masque Of The Red Death

Masque Of The Red Death
Author: Bethany Griffin
Release Date: April 24, 2012
Genre: YA Gothic Horror
Published by: Greenwillow Books an imprint of Harper Collins
Source: Around the World ARC Tours
Summary from Goodreads:
Everything is in ruins. 


A devastating plague has decimated the population. And those who are left live in fear of catching it as the city crumbles to pieces around them. 


So what does Araby Worth have to live for? 


Nights in the Debauchery Club, beautiful dresses, glittery make-up . . . and tantalizing ways to forget it all. 


But in the depths of the club—in the depths of her own despair—Araby will find more than oblivion. She will find Will, the terribly handsome proprietor of the club. And Elliott, the wickedly smart aristocrat. Neither boy is what he seems. Both have secrets. Everyone does. 


And Araby may find something not just to live for, but to fight for—no matter what it costs her.
My Thoughts:
 The description I found on Goodreads didn't have me completely sold on Masque of The Red Death but, the cover is so gorgeous (yeah I know) that I had to give it a try when I saw that it was going to be touring. I am SO SO glad that I was feeling tour happy that day because this book was frickin' wonderful! While this novel has some of the elements common to YA novels the plot was completely unique to me.


I'm having a difficult time figuring out just what it was that had me so completely engrossed in MotRD. I think I've finally decided that it was everything. The characters, the emotions,  the writing, the plot, the love triangle, the evil prince, Araby's parents, the city, the clubs, truly it was everything! This book was written so perfectly that I felt like I was there in the book.  I loved Bethany Griffin's writing style. I usually like a lot of dialog and not so much description but in the case of MotRD you had to have all of the description to get a feel for the utter despair and ruin of the city. Sometimes with that much description I find my mind wandering, that definitely wasn't happening while reading this one.

I don't want to talk about the story line to much because I want you to be as thrown as I was and I'm afraid I might give to much away if I talk to much about Araby and "the boys" so I will just leave you to discover and fall in love with them on your own. 


This book was a super fast read for me that I never wanted to put down and when it ended I wasn't ready.  Especially not with that ending. The next book will be one that I will be eagerly awaiting. Really eagerly is much to tame of a word to describe how much I am looking forward to the next book! 
Full of mystery, conspiracy and intrigue this is a book in 2012 that you will not want to miss!



1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed this book. I was a bit cautious because any time there is a title with the word "death" in it I become aware that death just might occur. It does, but thankfully not to any of our main characters. It starts off following our near suicidal, drug addicted heroine (he he) into a club with her best friend where she promptly takes a drug called oblivion and passes out. I know many people probably can't stand Araby because they'll see her put in that same role of whiny self pitying girl and while I see where they are coming from in putting her in that place, I think they are missing what else she has to offer. I found her utterly fascinating. The bond between twins is profound (or so I've heard) and to lose a twin is like losing half of yourself and I can completely see why she denies herself things he wouldn't experience and blame herself for what happened. The event of her brother's death devastated the family and alienated her from her parents in a way that seemed completely believable to me. I know she was weak in the beginning, but I enjoyed seeing her grow and fight with her addiction to stay clean in order to keep a clear head while trying to help the needy people. I loved her compassion.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love hearing what you think!